Powered By Blogger

August 18, 2009

Why are schools still on SAHM-time*?


So, I still hadn't received my DD's school schedule yet for Kindergarten. Silly me, it's two weeks before school starts here and I figured that I should have heard something by now.

Nope.

According to the office person that I spoke with on Monday, who goes to what class has yet to be decided.

Huh? How is this possible?

I'm a full-time working-outside-the-home mother (WOTHM). My DH also works full-time. We have to coordinate child care, transportation to and from (no busing), etc. How am I to do this if I don't have her schedule.

Oh -- and I was informed that her Kindergarten Assessment was the next day. Between 8:30 AM and 11:30 AM.

Excuse me? I'm just now finding out about this?

Oh -- well, we've lost track of who we've called and who we haven't.

??????????????????????

These people are going to be educating my child? Oy vey.

Fortunately, I now work at a company that values family time, and is somewhat flexible with time off. However, I have made a commitment to be at work. I need to be at work. So, naturally, the only times that this is being held is during my work day (DH is off in the afternoon -- he could have taken her, if they had afternoon appointments). DH doesn't have the flexibility that I do and couldn't afford to take off work (no paid time off), even though he works right next to our home and school, and I work 10 miles away.

{sigh}

Hence my question in the title of this post. I thought my school district was advanced in this regard -- for example, they offer child care and breakfast for the children. However, not everyone can drop everything they are doing and zoom over to Kindergarten Assessment...or Parent/Teacher conferences...you get the idea. I know school is during the "regular" day and all, but could schools keep in mind working parents' needs when trying to schedule classes and meetings?

We are in the 21st Century right?

Just checking.

*Note: This post is not meant in any way, shape, or form to be a slam on SAHMs. Traditionally, though, SAHMs have more flexible schedules than moms who have to go to work at specific times. If I was able to be a SAHM, I wouldn't be having this complaint, other than the assessment was scheduled at the last minute.

2 comments:

  1. It is really very helpful blog, I like your blog while reading.
    If you face any problem in QuickBooks,Contact:
    QuickBooks Support phone numberFor quick solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Blog !
    Our experts at QuickBooks Customer Service help you find the best solutions for QuickBooks queries in an emergency situation.

    ReplyDelete