Powered By Blogger

October 31, 2009

...and they're off. Maybe.

OK. So the National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo) starts tomorrow, November 1st. I signed up to participate, filled out a profile and everything. The goal is to write 50,000 words in 30 days.

I am completely scared out of my mind.

I am scared I won’t finish. I mean, c’mon – I can’t even update this blog on a semi-regular basis.

I’m scared that it will suck. The problem with all of my writing is that I hate it as soon as I put it down. I also don’t dare show anyone because someone close to me will tell me that is does suck, I’ll lose any confidence that I had, and then I definitely won’t finish it.

I’m scared that if it doesn’t suck, that I won’t be able to sell it. I mean, what’s with all the work if I can’t sell it? Isn’t that the ultimate goal?

I’m scared that no one will like it, whether I sell it or not. I’ve always felt that my writing was always such a part of me, as silly as that sounds. I don’t like opening myself up, I don’t like being vulnerable. I am not a risk taker—at least, not where this is concerned.

Most of all, I’m scared I’m over thinking this.

Why did I sign up to do this again?

I guess that I feel that, as the founder of this contest says, writing a novel is a “one day” goal, as in “one day I’ll write a novel”. This is to get people to commit to an attempt and to reach the goal. Which makes sense to me.

I watch other authors and the juggernauts they’ve created: Stephenie Meyer, J.K. Rowling. I mean, Holy Cow, I will probably never be able to do that. They’ve changed pop culture, for goodness sake. I’m not that good.

I wish that I thought that I was. Maybe this would be easier. Maybe that’s what I am most afraid of, beyond all else:

I’ll find out that I don’t have any talent at all. Dreams are always safer staying tucked into your heart.

Opening my heart is always scary.


1 comment:

  1. 173視訊美女
    UT影音視訊聊天室
    影音視訊聊天室
    UT視訊美女直播聊天室
    173視訊影音聊天室
    Live 173免費視訊聊天
    173視訊聊天
    173免費視訊聊天
    173影音live秀
    live173 視訊美女
    全球隨機在線視頻聊天真實富婆包養網一對一qq視頻聊天室看片一對一聊天室meme視訊
    全球隨機視頻聊天網站高端交友包養美女網站三陪網聊視頻語音聊天室meme視訊美女聊天
    全球隨機視頻網站日本性感美女視頻ut聊天室破解一對一隨機視頻聊天室meme104 視訊
    校內隨機視頻網偷吃禁果視頻寂寞白領交友網蟲蟲ut聊天室電話聊天交友社區meme視訊網
    全球視頻隨機網中文色情熟女人妻視頻網寂寞女交友台灣多人視頻聊天室視訊美女meme

    ReplyDelete